Monday, January 6, 2014

Bending to peer pressure

Tell us about a time you bent to peer pressure.

Happy Monday, fellow NaBloPoMo bloggers!  I can feel the holiday rush lifting as everyone returns back to work.  Yes, I am up at 6 am typing this.  And no, I am not a morning person so please forgive any incorrect grammar usage!

I would like to think of myself as a lofty individual who has always taken pride in being unique.  But, alas, I was just like any other kid, susceptible to following the latest trends.  I bought into the trends in middle school especially when all I wanted was to fit in.  Do you all recall gelly roll pens and beanie babies?  Oh, and giga pets?  All my friends had them so I had to also!  Yes, I was just a money sign in the eyes of companies aiming at the 'tween' demographic.  None of this 'consumerism' peer pressure resulted in any dire consequences for my young life but I'm sure my parents' wallet could have done without it! 

When I first saw this prompt though the first instance that came to mind was in second grade.  I had gone to a pool party for a little friend's birthday.  I was impressed by all my friends doing jumps,  flips and dives into the pool.  I watched in amazement while I doggy paddled in the shallow end.   A classmate dared me to dive into the pool.  I resisted but she kept pressing me to do it even though I told her I had never dived in before.  We compromised on me doing a 'twist' jump into the water.  I also saw that I had gained an audience and I didn't want to disappoint.  Casting aside my fear, I jumped into the air twisting my body as I fell to the water.  Seconds later, my chin hit the brick siding of the pool busting it open and leaving a gaping wound.  I remember crying and calling my Mom to come get me.  I went to the ER and spent the rest of that afternoon getting stitches in my chin.  Fun?  No.  A valuable lesson?  Yes.  I thought twice before taking a dare from anyone again.  Turns out peer pressure can hurt!

What are your stories of peer pressure?  Did your choice(s) have consequences?

Rahel



No comments:

Post a Comment