Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Perfection is overrated

Do you feel pressure to be perfect?  How much of it is tied to what you see online?

We as women tend to be very self-critical, myself included.  I wonder how much of this self-criticism stems from being exposed our whole lives to the airbrushed images of models in the media.  I used to feel more self-conscious about my looks, especially when I was in college.  I would compare myself constantly to other girls and wonder why I couldn't look as good as them or receive as much attention from guys as they did.  I am slowly learning to embrace my imperfections though.  I am not one hundred percent there and I don't know that I will ever be. Like most other 20 somethings, I am an avid social media user and maintain accounts on Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.  I often find myself comparing my life to a peer through looking at their postings on social media.  This is especially true with Facebook.  I have to tell myself that I do not and never will know a person's whole story judging from what they choose to share on social media.  So even if I wanted to compare, I couldn't!  Still, I catch myself wondering why my hair can't look like someone else's, why I can't find a guy like that and why my life doesn't look nearly as exciting.  I know it is human nature to compare but I need to remember that no one is perfect, especially me.  So, why waste my precious energy? Plus, it's our imperfections and quirks that make each one of us unique.  Living in a world full of Barbie dolls would be boring.   

Do any of you recall the 2008 Dove film/commercial, "Onslaught" which presented the impact that the media/beauty industry can have on young girls?  Well, I found it to be very insightful and relevant to our prompt's "pressure to be perfect" theme.  I believe it was a part of Dove's ongoing Campaign for Real Beauty.  Check it out below and let me know what you think!




No comments:

Post a Comment