Sunday, January 26, 2014

Perfection doesn't exist

What puts more pressure on you: time constraints or achieving perfection?

Time constraints put pressure on me, not achieving perfection.  I have come to the conclusion that perfection is non-existent.  Don't get me wrong, I do have perfectionist tendencies.  Instead of aiming for perfection though, I try to aim high and be the best version of me.  I think that the quest for perfection is useless and that all we can do is our personal best.  

Are any of you familiar with Don Miguel Ruiz's The Four Agreements?  I am a big fan of his work advocating personal freedom from beliefs that create unhappiness in our lives. They are listed below.

1. Be impeccable with your word.
2. Don’t take anything personally.
3. Don’t make assumptions.
4. Always do your best. 

If everyone abided by these agreements, I feel like the world would be a better place!  


With all of the images of "perfection" in the media that we encounter on a daily basis, I have to make a point to remind myself that perfection does not exist!  The perfect looking woman on the advertisement has been retouched and has tons of makeup on.  The perfect looking family has their own set of problems and issues to deal with.  The perfect home in the magazine is not always well kept and sparkling clean.  Perfection is an illusion.  

No comments:

Post a Comment