Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Peer Pressure: A Two-Way Street

Can peer pressure be positive? Why or why not?

I believe that peer pressure can be either positive or negative depending on the context and situation.  For example, I was pressured by my peers in my challenging, top ranked high school to study hard and take schoolwork seriously.  It was almost cool to be a nerd.  My smart peers influenced me to do well in school.  I wasn't nearly as intelligent as my fellow classmates but their dedication pushed me to do better.  My college coursework was easier to handle after my rigorous high school academic life.  I now consider myself a life long student.  Even now that I am not in school, I enjoy keeping up with current events, reading new books and learning new things.  Of course, we all know the flip side of peer pressure in high school where kids get involved with a bad crowd and in turn jeopardize their futures.  Peer pressure is a two-way street.

No comments:

Post a Comment